Glacial acetic acid is the concentrated form of acetic acid solution. Glacial acetic acid is the anhydrous (undiluted or free of water) in nature. It can form ice-like crystals. It is a weak colorless reducing agent. It is mildly corrosive in nature .Glacial acetic acid is obtained by dipping acetic acid solution in a “stalactite” of solid glacial acetic acid. Glacial Acetic Acid can be used in Plastic and Food industries.
Fumaric acid is colorless crystalline powder with a fruit-like taste (a fruit acid) in nature. It is a weak acid and has low solubility in water. Fumaric acid is widely used in the food industry as an acidulant because it is nontoxic and is the least expensive of the food-grade acids. Chemical Formula for Fumaric Acid is HO₂CCH=CHCO₂H. When used as a food additive, the hydrophobic nature of fumaric acid results in persistent, long lasting sourness and flavor impact.
The versatile compound also decreases the pH with minimal added sourness in products with pHs greater than 4.5, low molecular weight gives fumaric acid more buffering capacity than other food acids at pHs near 3.O.
Application of Fumaric Acid is –
1. Food and Beverage products
2. Fumaric acid is used in the manufacture of polyester resins, polyhydric alcohols and as a mordant for dyes.
Propionic acid also known as paranoiac acid, is a ubiquitous fatty acid present in many processed foods as well as animal feed stocks. It is a naturally occurring carboxylic acid. The formulae is – C₃H₆O₂. In its natural state, it is an oily liquid with a slightly pungent and rancid odor.
The salt and ester of the compound are known as propionates, they have a wide range of applications. Propanoic acid can be produced by both chemical and biological methods.
Application of Propionic acid is-
1. Its is used in the manufacture of herbicides, fine chemical intermediates, rubber chemicals, emulsions, and environmentally friendly solvents for coating formulations.
2. It is also used to make artificial fruit flavors, pharmaceuticals, and modified synthetic cellulose fibers
Sorbic acid is a naturally occurring compound that has become the most commonly used food preservative in the world. It is a colorless solid that is slightly soluble in water and sublimes readily. It has the chemical formula CH3(CH)4CO2H.
Sorbic Acid is antimicrobial in nature, the antimicrobial activity of sorbic acid increases as the pH of the media decreases. Sorbic acid is a carboxylic acid that is slightly soluble in water and is available as a powder, granules, or micro capsules.
Application of Sorbic acid is –
1. Sorbic acid is widely used as an antimicrobial preservative in the pharmaceutical industry.
2. Sorbic Acid can be used as preservative in Agriculture/Animal Feed/Poultry feed.
Lactic acid is an organic acid. It is white in the solid state and it is miscible with water. It is used as a synthetic intermediate in many organic synthesis industries and in various biochemical industries. Its chemical formulae is C3H6O3. Lactic Acid is used as a mild acidity regulator with flavor enhancing and antibacterial properties.
Lactic acid also helps prevent discoloration and works as a gelling agent and a curing agent. Pure lactic acid, rarely prepared, is a colourless, crystalline substance that melts at 18° C (64° F); it rapidly absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
Application of Lactic Acid-
1. Lactic acid has been used widely in the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, chemical.
2. Food manufacturers add lactic acid to packaged food products such as bread, desserts, olives, and jams to give them longer shelf lives.